filmscanners: Canon FS2710 and Windows 2000 SCSI not working

I had my Canon 2710 working on Windows 2000 at an earlier date with much
screwing around with it but after reloading my PC after a crash I can not
get it to go for the life of me. My machine recognizes the scanner by name
and I do the quirky install per Canon's instructions
http://www.usa.canon.com/camcambin/filmscanner/fs2710dl.html
and when I install there software it says SCSI device not found or something
along those lines. Some problem with VueScan.

Does anyone have this running on Windows 2000? If so maybe you can help me
out by letting me know what you did.

I have the SCSI card that came with it. I believe it is an adaptec ava
2904e. I do have the latest drivers.

Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

Sam