Re: filmscanners: Vuescan grain dust removal function (was: Need feedback on VueScan Improvements)

>From: Bob Shomler <bob@shomler.com>
>
>From what is written in the help file it would appear that vuescan does not
>depend on an IR channel.  The following is from the vuescan 7.0 help file:
>
>--------------
>Clean   Use this option to remove dust spots and reduce visible film grain.
>
>If the scan has an infrared channel, the Light option will remove dust
>spots, the Medium option will remove dust spots and reduce film grain, and
>the Heavy option will remove dust spots and reduce more film grain.
>
>If the scan doesn't have an infrared channel, the Light option will reduce
>film grain, the Medium option will remove more film grain and some smaller
>dust spots, and the Heavy option will remove more film grain and larger
>dust spots.

Ed should probably answer this since it is about his product, but I will go
ahead and respond also.  Vuescan does not need the IR channel to do cleaning
or grain reduction, BUT if it has it then the cleaning works much better and
with little or no softness added.  Ed has said in the past that the grain
reduction algorithm does not use the IR channel (even if it exists).