AW: filmscanners: Puzzled about display resolution

To be more acurate about physical resolution:
It is quite simple to calculate and I won't tell you anything new:

If you have a monitor with a maximum dot pitch of 0.24mm and a viewable
image area of 406*305 mm (these are the specs of the Hitachi CM823F) your
maximum physical resolution is horizontal  406/(1/0.24)= 1691
So 1691*x is what you get.
Even if you say that its average dot pitch is somewhere about 0.23 mm you
don't get 1856*1392.
You can't get anything more without loss of image quality, even if the
fairytales of most manufacturers try to tell you something different.

By the way, what do you really win out of a higher resolution? The palettes,
the fonts, the icons are smaller  but the viewable area remains the same. To
look at an image in full screen mode in PS you just have the monitors
viewable area as the limit either with 1280*960 or 1600*1200.

Elmar

Elmar Pinkhardt
Auf-dem-Kreuz 24
89073 Ulm