RE: filmscanners: Kodak RFS 3600

Ok..here goes... just didn't want to bog everyone else down with it if they
weren't interested.  This is only based on two scans so far...but it was
with two images that I've never gotten to scan real well with my previous
two scanners, so that's what I based it on.
First off... the scanner software only took a few minutes to get used to.
The big problem is the buttons aren't labeled with text, so you need to wait
for the tool tips to pop up so you know what you are pressing.  Pretty dumb,
but anyway... as far as actually working with it, once you know what each
tool button is, it goes fairly smooth.  The scans I came up with looked
great- on my monitor anyway, the first time.  I had to make a few slight
exposure and color adjustments, but nothing major and nothing I found out of
line. Overall, I think, based on a few scans, that it was worth it.
My past scanners were an HP Photosmart (absolute crap on slides), and a
Canon Canoscan FS 2710 (which was ok for the money, but still didn't have
the density range to handle some of my landscape shots).  The Kodak does
much better than both of those.  I haven't seen the new Nikon yet, but I
have a past history with Nikon Cameras.  They always worked ok, but service
on them was always slow as molasses, so I tend to shy away from their stuff.
The Nikon may be better for the money, but so far, like I said... I'm pretty
pleased.
The one drawback I kept reading about was the noise (not in the scan, but
the noise the scanner makes as it scans).  Again, I only have two other
scanners to compare to, but I don't find the noise that objectionable. It is
a little louder than the Canon, about the same as the HP. But again, I
bought this thing for image quality, so as long as the images look good, it
can play Wagner for all I care.
I'll post more as I get more use out of it...
Rick