AW: filmscanners: Puzzled about display resolution

So what I have read in this thread is, that most of you try to get the
highest possible resolution with a monitor and an acceptable refresh rate
(by the way I think 75 Hz is NOT acceptable, as most screens are optimized
to 85 Hz).
But what do you win out of having a 17' with 1600*1200 or a 21' with 2xxx*?.
In my opinion you "win" a worse image quality and far more problems with
your eyes after hours of work.
Most manufacturers suggest 1280*24 even with their 21'. And that are not the
cheap ones but Eizo or Sony or Iiyama.
You will give away a lot of the (expensively paid) image quality of your 21'
with resolutions as high as possible.
I would never go with 1600*1200. I prefer 1472*1104 with a Matrox G450 and
Iiyama Vision Mater Pro510 22'. I have a crisp, sharp view, comfortably
readable letters and enough space to work with (and this by sure is an
excllent monitor), for the second display (Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 19')
I have 1280*960 with a GeForce2MX PCI.
With these settings, the letters and icons are quite the same size on both
screens, so I don't have to accomodate my eyes every time I switch.
IMHO the most important thing is not having he highest resolution but the
best quality, and that certainly not 1600*1200 even not with ANY 21 or 22'
monitor.

Elmar

Elmar Pinkhardt
Auf-dem-Kreuz 24