RE: filmscanners: Need feedback on VueScan Idea

Tim wrote:
>One of the keys to effective software design is to make the common cases
easy and the uncommon cases possible.

That's well put, Tim, and it's beginning to happen, even.

>In the rare case where someone gets stuck with a mixed batch of slides to
scan, they'd have waste an extra mouse action per slide. That's a case where
they'd quickly learn what the hotkey was for the Preferences...dialog.

Rare? I don't think so. Larry B and I are from different disciplines, yet we
*both* had similar comments on our experiences. The Real World Fact is that
there *is* no "typical case" in prosumer computer graphics. All of us have
different applications and goals, and we're "doin' our thing" as best we can
for the best results we can get, without having to upgrade to a
very-expensive Sun Workstation and custom software--which I would probably
give my left arm to have, but for the fact that I need it "on rare
occasion!" :-)

What makes Vuescan so great is that it does so many things on so many
levels, and does them well. Change that, and you change its scope and value
for us schlubs who have a job to do and find VS is a good tool and a good
buy at a good price. No offense to anyone (please), but I LIKE Vuescan, and
I don't want it to become another Photoshop or whatever. Its many features
have pulled my butt out of the fire on many occasions, and I can't really
say that about very many other program I've ever used in 20-years of
computer graphics. :-)

Best regards--LRA