RE: filmscanners: Need feedback on VueScan Idea

On Tuesday, March 06, shaf wrote:
>    I just had another idea for un-cluttering a tab window, possibly
> removing entire tab.  Since any session, is entirely dedicated to a
> particular roll of film, why not move all concerns for film type to a
> menu item??  There may be many "preferences, we'd need less immediate
> access to, ... preferred color space & whether or not to embed the
> color space, ... the default application after the scan ... auto scan
> & auto eject ... watermark ... release memory ... JPEG quality ... all
> options for the index file ... font size ... beep ... blink ... anyway
> you get the idea.  Can't these be moved to menu items and preference
> dialogs??

This strikes me as a very sensible idea. Some settings we want to
change from frame to frame. Others only change from session to
session, if they ever do. They might well become items in a Settings
menu or selections from a Preferences... dialog box. It would help
unclutter the main window, and might also make it more clear which
settings you need to mess with on a regular basis (something that
it took me a while to figure out when I began using VueScan.)

Also, this is probably a much longer-term suggestion but while I'm
at it: I'd love to be able to preview an entire strip of frames, manually
adjust the crop and color correction settings for each frame to my
satisfaction, then press Scan and leave it to scan the whole strip
while I went away to work on something else.

My Minolta can do 6 negative frames at a time at 35mm, and an
entire roll of APS at once when I get that adapter. It would help
my workflow considerably if I could answer email or write invoices
or whatever, rather than having to babysit the scanner for each
frame. I can see how this might require some heavy rework of
the application, but continuous scanning of longer strips of film
seems to be where scanners are headed.

Thanks for listening to your users, Ed!

Best wishes,

Tim Victor