Re: filmscanners: RE: Win2k and application RAM

Mike Finley wrote:

> I don't think this is right. There is a total 4GB adressable space,
> including virtual memory. Some of this is probably reserved for the
> operating system, probably reducing the maximum for the application to 2GB,
> possibly 3GB. If I have time I'll look into this when I'm in the office
>
> mike

I happened to be assembling a new PC in the past few days.

4GB is not the max Intel CPU can address. With paging under protected mode the
max is actually 64GB. Only systems classified as servers will have that kind of
memory
capacity. I picked up an IWILL main board cheap (less than $100) which claims
to support
1.28GB. Well, it does not. I put in two 512MB and one 256MB dimm into it, it
only sees
768MB. I settled with only 512 in it. It is a single CPU PC. I managed to get a
933MHz
Pent III for it.

The reason to replace my old one with this new PC is for my Minolta scanner. I
bought it
used a few months back. It is a Dimage Multi I. I am planning to spend another
$100
for the software update to make the model from I to II, which has the ROC and
GEM
features that have really made me dream about it for a long time.

Well, ROC and GEM will lengthen the scan time much much longer. It will demand
lots
of memory and CPU speed. I have access to a server that supports up to 4GB with

2 CPUs in it. I'll see if I can make a comparison between my new PC and that
server
to see if more memory and CPU will really help much. The server has exactly 4GB
of
memory in it.

However, I am a little reluctant at this point to jump in and get the software
update before
someone can tell me that ROC and GEM really work great.

Quoton

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.