Re: filmscanners: Kodak Color Input Targets

At 12:15 AM 7/03/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I don't know about the Acer but my Microtek ArtixScan 4000t (now it is
>already working well again!) came with the Q60-E3 slide

No, the Acer bundle does not include a target or any profiling
stuff.  You're left pretty much on your own, but at that price level it's
hardly surprising, and I'm not one to complain :).

>I think
>that the color targets are useless unless you have the profiling software
>for the the scanner you want profile, but other more experient members of
>the list will enlight you on this, I am sure.

I don't have the Q60 slide, but I did manage to find it's equivalent 7x5
print bundled with an old Microtek scanner.  I find that quite useful - I
can take a quick flashlit shot of it with any new film I try and then use
it to determine what sort of adjustments I might need to make before printing.

I would certainly suggest you find some sort of target that shows a full
range of colours (esp. pastels).  If it's in print form, just photograph it
yourself..

>I suppose that profiling the scanner with standard targets is the only way
>insure that the global color management is tuned, but a correctly
>calibrate and proliled monitor is of not less importance.

Is there such a thing as a correct monitor? ;-)  I don't fuss much about my
monitor's accuracy (apart from getting the overall gamma about right),
because the final destination of most of my stuff is the printer.  So I
compare the print to the projected slide, and also show it to a few other
folk for comments, and therein is my main method of calibration!  Mostly,
the monitor is just a vague guide to me - I would much rather believe the
RGB values I see from my eyedropper than what my eyes might be seeing in
the phosphors. (..But I am often told I have strange methodologies...!)

MT

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.