RE: filmscanners: RE: Win2k and application RAM

Mike wrote:
> I don't think this is right. There is a total 4GB
> adressable space, including virtual memory. Some
> of this is probably reserved for the operating
> system, probably reducing the maximum for the
> application to 2GB, possibly 3GB. If I have time
> I'll look into this when I'm in the office

AFAIK the maximum addressable space is 4GB regardless of
the combination of RAM/Virtual.  I seriously doubt
that the OS would eat anything like 1 or 2 GB since
Win2K runs happily in 128MB, so that would leave most
of the 4GB available to applications.  As I mentioned
earlier, a much more important consideration would be
processor speed and disk drive speed.  RAID and fast
drives would be essential to avoid waiting for ages
just to load and save files.  Using different spindles
for the OS, working files and scratch space would
probably help.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com