[no subject]

Hi all,

I'm planning to get one of the new 4000 dpi medium format scanners for my
6x7 negs, and checked out the specs on their site.
Got a bit freaked out when I saw that a scan of this size in 16 bit is 624
Mb. (8 bit: 312 Mb)
If Vuescan works with these scanners (likely I'm sure, with Ed so on the
button) then you could be saving  RGB+ I which means raw scans are 33%
larger still...
This is all getting me very anxious - they say you need minimum of 3 x file
size in RAM so we're already way over the 1.5Gb on most boards..
Any advice/ experiences? Am I worrying about nothing? If you run out of RAM
and write to good modern hard drives do things really stop dead?

Mac OS only allows a max of 1Gb Ram to any one programme (eg Photoshop),
does Windows 2000 have similar memory limits? (noticed some of the newest
Windows motherboards can take 3Gb+ in RAM)

Before anyone comments on RAM costs, I just saw 512Mb units  (PC133 SDRAM)
for $207... so it's feasible to buy 2Gb plus for 'only' around $800

Any advice/tips welcome,

Paul

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.