Re: filmscanners: Vuescan - A few technical questions

At 3:45 AM -0500 3/5/01, EdHamrick@aol.com wrote:
>Increasing the exposure time will saturate the CCD in the bright
>parts.  Some (most?) CCD's will bleed light from overexposed
>pixels into nearby pixels, which messes up dark areas that are
>near bright areas.
>
>This is the reason that I resisted adding the long exposure pass
>feature for so long.  However, people kept asking me to add this,
>and the customer is always right <smile>.  Hopefully it's useful
>to some people in some circumstances, but I don't recommend
>that the long exposure pass option be used normally.

        Ed is absolutely correct here, at least with my Canon FS2710.
When he first released the Long Pass feature, I thought my
noise-reduction prayers had been answered. I had never seen such
noise-free slide scans from the Canon. Unfortunately, many of my
scans also showed strange bright red edge artifacts (the bleeding
mentioned by Ed). It's still worth trying, though, because many times
the artifacts are negligible compared with the advantage of the noise
reduction. I'm glad the option is there.

Regards,
Roger Smith

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.