Re: filmscanners: dither vs haltoning (was File sizes, file

Sara Jane Boyers wrote:

> It was primarily because of a visit to Paris while in college and my
> first real view of the great impressionist paintings (particularly
> Monet's "Parlement") at the Jeu des paumes that I switched my major from
> political science to art history, took up photography a little more
> seriously and am scanning happily today.

When I was in Paris in the early 1980s, all the tourists were running to
the Louvre.  I did eventually get there, but first I headed to the Jeu
des paumes, which a lot of Parisians never even heard of (maybe it was
my accent?)... I finally found it in a beautiful little park; a rather
unpretentious building.  But once I got through the doors, I felt like I
had entered the doors to a time machine.  What a collection of art...
they had the originals of all the "stuff" I had seen in books and
magazines and film strips from school all my life.  It was like a geode,
looks like a lump of rock from the outside, but crack it open and it is
filled with beautiful deep purple amethyst crystals.

I went back several times during my stay, and each time was more amazed
than the last.  Yeah, the Louvre is big, and it has a lot of impressive
stuff in it, like Mona, but square foot to square foot, the Jeu des
paumes was the most impressive museum I saw in Europe (the Van Gogh in
A'dam was a close second - I was there during the Van Gogh international
tour - it was the largest collection of Van Gogh ever amassed in one
place.).

I hope the new museum that replaced the Jeu des paumes is as magical.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.