Re: filmscanners: File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

Austin Franklin wrote:

>> There is a big difference between halftoning and dithering.  Most of the
>> printers we use, inkjet, home laser printers, etc, use dithering.
>>
>> Halftoning involves having each ink color screened into dots and then
>> each of these dots is further matrixed to create different color
>> density.
>

> Not necessarily.  You are describing an implementation, not a process.  I
> still contend, and what sources I have checked, concur that the process is
> called halftonging, and that dithering is a technique that can be used in AN
> implementation of halftoning.
>

>> No inkjet printer can produce true
>> halftone, yet.
>

> I believe you are, again, referring to an implementation of the halftone
> process, namely varying the drop size, as opposed to building the halftone
> cell from a number of dots.

I suspect we are getting into a war of semantics, which, personally, I'm
not interested in.  I suspect the term halftoning has different meanings
depending if you are speaking to someone in the fine-art, digital, press
backgrounds.  I know in speaking to manufacturers and reading reviews in
press related trade journals, there is always discussion of the eventual
possibility of inkjet printers producing half-tone screens, but that
they cannot currently do so.

Words like halftoning probably have numerous interpretations, and it
would not surprise me that Adobe, a company that came of age in the
digital realm uses the term in a broader fashion than perhaps it would
be in the press media.  Ultimately, what is of interest to me, is not
which term is used, but how the processes might differ, and why, for
instance, certain lpi and epi cannot directly translate to dpi on an
inkjet printer, for instance.

Most printers refer to halftone (or the implementation thereof, to use
your words) which involve a matrix of equally spaced cells which have
varied dot size.  I would refer to the process used by inkjet printers
as dithering.  And now I'm going to dither onward... ;-)

> Also, why would inkjet be any different than laser?  They both print in dots
> at a particular resolution.

Some top end high res laser printers (I believe HP owns the patents) can
actually vary dot size within a set matrix to produce a half-tone
screen, although the control of dot shape and size on a laser printer is
still not to the quality of a imagewriter. I was specifically speaking
of monochrome laser, where there would be no issues of moiré due to
overlay of several inks. I don't know if any color laser printers can do
so yet.  Laser printers, using an electrostatic dry toner system can
produce potentially very small dots, much smaller than the 3-4 picolitre
droplet inkjets produce.  Further inkjet dots can be quite distorted in
shape, and bleed in a major consideration, which is very minor with a
fused laser toner dot.

Although the current line of Epson inkjet printers do have variable dot
size, hey do not use them in what I would call a half-tone matrix, and
if they did, the result would be rather course, based upon the dot size.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.