Re: filmscanners: File sizes, file formats, etc. for printing 8.5 x 11and 13 x 17...

Thanks, Arthur, for a clear exposition, as usual.

So the answer to Marvin's question 1 part 2 is...

"Use the resolution you got from the scanner, and let the
printer driver do the work."

This is what I've always done myself with my 2700ppi
scanner. I can't tell the difference in a print from
resizing/resampling the image first, and it's one less step.

To answer his question 2 and question 1 (part1)....

The file size will then be 27MB from a full 35mm frame as a
TIFF, or a little less if compressed. If you save these
you'll be able to rework it later without losing image
information.

However, if I'm sure I'm happy with the result, and don't
intend to rework it in future, I save and print a JPEG, at
"90% quality" (Vuescan scale) or "15% compression factor"
(PaintShopPro scale). This results in a file size of 1.8 to
3MB, which is almost indistinguishable at a pixel level on
screen and on paper from the uncompressed TIFF.

The consequence of this for question 3 is that 200-300
images will fit on  a single CD-R disk (or fewer if written
in many separate sessions), instead of only 20-25 tiff
files. So I save TIFF files if I think I'm going to rework
the image seriously in future, but otherwise save JPEGs.
This has the incidental advantage that every image viewer I
have reads the jpegs much quicker than the tiffs.

When I think I'll rework an image, I realise I may have
become fussier by then, so I usually save the raw image data
file from my scanner as well, on CD. I'll then be able to
rework it in about a year's time in Vuescan version
247.7.24. By then it will probably read my mind and guess
correctly what I'd like to have done with the image in the
first place.

Regards,

Alan T