Re: filmscanners: Colors in Neutral Gray

on 2/27/01 5:50 PM, Berry Ives at yvesberia@earthlink.net wrote:

> on 2/26/01 9:47 PM, Doug Herr at telyt@earthlink.net wrote:
>

>> Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> Is this really true?
>>> Note that I am not arguing with the point - I love my digital darkroom, and
>>> have no problems with most images, but I know I have a long way to go to
>>> really understand colour balancing, because it bites me every now and then..
>>>
>>> Mark T.
>>
>> I can't claim to be an expert but I'm finding less reason to use
>> color-correcting
>> filters.  An example of what can be done is at:
>>
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/technique/bluepika.html
>>
>> Doug Herr
>> Sacramento
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com
>>
> I looked at your images, Doug, and the background grays, some just like the
> ones I had trouble with--beyond the depth of field and fading into the sky--
> are certainly nice and clean.  Very nice.
>
> Can you make a few comments about your film, film format, scanner, and image
> processing technique (e.g., 16-bit or 8-bit to Photoshop?  have you
> encountered the same problem I was referring to, etc.)
>
> Thanks,
> Berry

Berry,

At this time my own scanner is on my wish list.  I'm on the list mostly to
absorb as much info as I can before I shell out my own (vaporware) dollars
for the scanner that's going to make me rich and famous.

I've been using Kodak PhotoCD and I had a lot of trouble getting the colors
I wanted until I figured out how to convert the files' color space to Adobe
RGB (1998) from the color space the Kodak Acquire module demanded I use
(Image->Mode->Profile to Profile).  My film is entirely 35mm, mostly
Kodachromes, some as far back as 1971 Kodachrome X (i.e., the example posted
above).  I work in a 24-bit RGB mode, 8 bits per channel.  Color corrections
involve establishing the white and black points, then tweaking each channel
to get the midtones right.  It may take several tries on each channel before
I'm satisfied.  BTW I use an adjustment layer to make the corrections, not
altering the original pixel data.  Often I even need the discerning eye and
impeccable taste of my 12-year-old daughter to get the colors right.

I've been told that for the ultimate in color control I ought to adjust with
Curves but for now I'm getting by adjusting Levels.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.