Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000 ED or Polaroid Sprintscan 120 ??

Tony Sleep wrote:

> And if you really want to get depressed, the next phase is e-publishing
>instead
> of print. I think that's totally inescapable as the web becomes ubiquitous
>and
> wireless PDA technology evolves. At that point the newsagents, printers and
> distributors join us in the dole queue. Which is why I'm working so hard at a
> small pre-emptive counterstrike, about which more later... :)

I was just thinking about what has happened to music distribution over
the years.  There were 78 rpm records, where a couple of short
selections required art for the front.  Then came 45 rpm singles which
often came in slip sleeves without art, and LPs which required artwork,
some of which is legendary. Then CDs show up, and the artwork became
tiny, and therefore less significant.  And finally, downloadable music
and MP3... no artwork required.  What's going to happen to all those
designers and artists/photographers when no cover art is needed?

Greeting Cards were big business (and still are) but now comes e-cards,
many of which are free for the sending.  Further, companies like MS have
bought up rights to thousands of card fronts and sell them as clip art
for next to nothing.  A lot of people also now have the tools to produce
their own/with or without the help of clip art.

Images in general are becoming more and more just so much "stuff" and
old stuff is being recycled.

With the advent of cheap "printable computer screens", art collections
from the famous museums will be available for download or on disk and be
projected on these.  There's a reason Gates/Corbis have bought up
digital rights to so many collections of images and art.

And the sad truth is, there is so much art out there now, if no new
images were ever created, most of us would still never run out of images
we've never seen.

One of many,

Art
Art