Re: filmscanners: OT: How to reset Epsons with "chipped" cartridges

Frank Paris wrote:

> If the information is not sent back to the computer, then how does the
> computer give a visual display of the amount of ink remaining in each
> cartridge? In fact, the computer is sent this information continuously as a
> print is being made, because I can watch the graphs go down as a large print
> is being made. Computers these days receive all kinds of information from
> the printer. Even my HP printer sends my computer information on ink levels
> and it does it without any visible chip on the cartridge, don't ask me how.
>
> Frank Paris
> marshalt@spiritone.com
> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=62684

You really don't need a chip on the cartridge for either the printer or
the computer to keep track of the ink usage.  All that's needed to be
known is how many times the heads fire for each color, and what drop
size is being used each time.  Epson's have done this for years.  It is
also used to determine when the heads should be dabbed, when they should
be swiped, and when they should go through a cleaning cycle.  On the
last one, I think they also use a timer, sort of like a taxi... you pay
for movement and you pay for time at the stop lights ;-)

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.