Re: filmscanners: storage

Let's face it.  A lot of problems with CD-R burners have to do with the
system they are on, what software is being used, the blank disk quality
and the interface on the burner.  I'm suspect of any overly broad
comments about these drives in terms of brands.

I get lots of buffer underruns and other failed burns  and I have a
Plextor. I spoke with their chief engineer, a very nice guy, BTW, for
nearly an hour.  He gave me a rundown on the dozens of non-burner
problems that can cause difficulties.  CD-R burning is just now
beginning to come of age in terms of working reliably, and it is due to
many factors, including improved blank disks (Plextor suggests sticking
with only the brands of disks they "recommend" on their website), faster
processors and memory, better code by Adaptec and others, people
learning how to configure their systems better, newer, faster and more
compatible CD-ROM drives to copy from, etc.

If you want a minimum of problems, go SCSI on whatever brand drive you
get, the IDE interfacing is not as reliable when it is fighting to
support your hard drive, CD-ROM, etc, at the same time. Get a drive with
"burn proof" by Sanyo which uses a new system to locate the location in
an interrupted burn and continue it, which allows you to surf the web
while burning a CD, and other things.  Be careful, when using an IDE
interfaced system, to place the burner as your master drive, and if
possible leave the CD burner as the only device on that leg of your IDE
interface. Get a burner with at least 2 megs buffer built in.

All the manufacturers, IMHO, jumped the gun on selling CD-R burners as
an easy to use peripheral.  They are only just getting there.  I have
heard of very few problems overall with any of the name brand CD-R
burners, but lots of configuration related problems.

Art

Michael Moore wrote:

> I have an HP 9210i (10x burn) that I have put about 50 disks through and will
>put
> lots more in the coming months.. I checked out the reviews and user forums
>before
> I bought the HP... the Sony was rated along with HP as one of the tops.. So
>far,
> the HP does a great job and my clients have had no problems reading the
>discs...
>
> Mike Moore

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.