filmscanners: scanner software opinion

In researching my choice for a flatbed scanner I have come to the following
conclusion. Yes, D-max and resolution and bits are important but little is
ever said about the scanner software. Aspects such as separate RGB channels
on the histogram and the ability to manipulate the image are seldom
discussed.
My question to the list is:
In your opinion what is the best software the comes with a flatbed scanner?
HP,Microtek,Epson,Agfa,Umax or some other....
Where can you see screen shots of the scanner software or get detailed info?
Many manufacturers don't even tell you the features  their software offers.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ken

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.