Re: filmscanners: Monitor for Mac under $500?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:57:06 -0700  Berry Ives (yvesberia@earthlink.net) wrote:

> A much better deal would appear to be the NEC Multisync FE950+ 19" for $457
> including shipping. This has a flat screen and compact depth.

This monitor has been getting rave reviews in UK. I'm currently thinking about
it myself, since my monitor just exploded for the 3rd and last time (an older
NEC - I've got 2 of the FG series, fine screens with excellent image quality
which hasn't deteriorated significantly - but both have needed expensive
repairs, line transformer breakdown in both cases, plus failure of an IC on one
after which it never had perfect geometry).

Other 19" possibles appear to be the

- Sony E400 or G400
- Mitsubishi DiamondPro 920
- Ilyama Visionmaster Pro 450

The only ones I've seen have been the E400 and a DiamondPro.

The Sony E400 was just superb. I doubt the more expensive G400 gives any better
image quality, but it does come with a tailor-made profile and USB hub. This is
what I will probably go for if/when I can scrape the money together. I've got a
20yo Sony TV in the kitchen, and a 25yo Sony miniature tape recorder I still
use for taping interviews, and I do detest unreliable kit :)

The Mitsubishi was poorly adjusted (brightness too high) and certainly in an
overbright strip-lit environment, but image quality looked like it should be up
there with the Sony if set properly. Naturally this was a magazine graphic
designer's unit, she sits and picks holes in photographers' work on it,
including mine :(

Mitsubishi and Ilyama both seem to produce excellent monitors but have rather
questionable QC which allows some units out with poor corner focus, dodgy
geometry or misconvergence, from what I've read here and elsewhere. It can take
a few swaps before you get a good one, and this makes buying cheap from a
boxshifter a bit of a gamble unless you like waiting around for couriers.

I've looked at other units from Philips, Samsung, AOC, CTX and others I forget.
Philips seemed very good for the money, but I have bought other Philips goods
which have failed prematurely - their products seem to perform well but
are built down to a price. The rest were not in the same league.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons