RE: filmscanners: This Gamma Thing...?

Hi,

>Here is Giorgianni and Madden's definition from "Digital Color Management":
>"Exponent of a power-law equation relating CRT luminance to control-signal
>voltage".

OK. I thought the relationship between luminance and control voltage was
linear. But I guess that if it was linear the viewer wouldn't see a linear
relationship. The change in luminance corresponding to a viewer seeing the
color as "twice as bright" is probably some logarithmic thing. Like with
the volume button on a stereo...

Thanks for the explanation. Now I just need to get some kind of idea of a
good value for gamma. Windows defaults to 2.2. My scanner software defaults
to 1.4. If I change the scanner software to gamma=2.2 images look WAY too
bright... Why the difference?

Tom

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.