RE: filmscanners: This Gamma Thing...?

Here is Giorgianni and Madden's definition from "Digital Color Management":
"Exponent of a power-law equation relating CRT luminance to control-signal
voltage". Also, "The slope of the straight-line portion of a CRT
characteristic curve relating log luminance to log voltage." Anyhow, that's
why if you play with it, it changes the appearances of images on the screen.
You're basically changing the voltage applied to the phosphors given a
certain digital input value, thus changing the luminance. You're changing
the shape of the curve of RGB value vs. voltage applied.

Frank Paris
marshalt@spiritone.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.