Re: filmscanners: OT: dyesub printers (long)

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> you also use a full series of panels.  So, place just one dot the size
> of a period anywhere in the image, and the printer will use up a full
> set of ink panels to do that.  Consumable costs are constant.  You do

This isn't true of my Alps MD-1300.  It would only use a teeny bit of
the ribbon when passing over that spot.

> not want to waste dye sub prints.  Unlike an inkjet where you can do
> small tests, or stop printing early if you see a problem with color
> balance, etc, no such luck with dye sub.

As I mention above, this is true for Alps's dyesub printers, or at
least mine.  :-)

> Alps tried to resolve part of this and lower consumable costs by using a
> series of ribbons rather than panels, but they could never fully resolve
> the problems with banding caused by the way the inks were laid down on
> the transfer sheet.

Same problem as inkjets that don't print the whole page in one pass of
the head.  :-)

It hasn't been a problem with my machine, but some have reported problems
with theirs (at least some models have a home calibration proceedure to
"fix" this, don't know if that had been done for those with problems).

Mike K.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.