Re: filmscanners: Vignetting?

The effect is not actually vignetting in a in a traditional photographic sense.
The effect of the polarizer is heavier on the left side.  The sky and sea seem
darker on the right side due to the polarizer.  I agree with you on the
vignetting from lenses.  The other vignetting effect can be seen in Photoshop
and causes fuzzy edges around an image and makes it look like a 1890's
photograph.  However, "Webster's" does not restrict the definition to what has
traditionally been used in a photograpgic sense.

Gordon

Rob Geraghty wrote:

> Apologies to those who are using the digest, because the attached picture
> will appear as encoded ascii.  A while back I was in touch with a guy from a
> stock photo company and I sent a low res jpeg of a photo of mine, which he
> claimed showed vignetting.  Now to me, vignetting in the camera is caused by
> a wide-angle lens "seeing" the edges of a filter.  Years ago I did make the
> mistake of putting a polariser on the end of a lens which already had a UV
> filter on it, and this certainly caused vignetting.  But the effect I
> believe he was attributing to vignetting is caused by a polariser - the sky
> tends to be darker at the edge of the photo, sometimes on one side,
> sometimes both depending on the angle to the sun.
>
> Would anyone on the list call the variation in the sky in the attached jpeg
> vignetting?  I don't find the effect objectionable, but are publishers
> really likely to?
>
> Obscanning: images which have this kind of effect may actually enhance it
> depending on the scanner settings used.
>
> Rob

>                         Name: 20010118 0332.jpg
>    20010118 0332.jpg    Type: JPEG Image (image/jpeg)
>                     Encoding: base64

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.