Re: filmscanners: Vignetting?

Rob, As you stated, the effect is fall-off due the nature of the polarizer.... I
used to do a lot of landscape work, never had a publisher reject any polarized
sky shots, but I also tried to cull the ones with too much drop off in the
sky... Maybe you ought to submit digital files where you've corrected the sky
with PShop...

Mike

Rob Geraghty wrote:

> Apologies to those who are using the digest, because the attached picture
> will appear as encoded ascii.  A while back I was in touch with a guy from a
> stock photo company and I sent a low res jpeg of a photo of mine, which he
> claimed showed vignetting.  Now to me, vignetting in the camera is caused by
> a wide-angle lens "seeing" the edges of a filter.  Years ago I did make the
> mistake of putting a polariser on the end of a lens which already had a UV
> filter on it, and this certainly caused vignetting.  But the effect I
> believe he was attributing to vignetting is caused by a polariser - the sky
> tends to be darker at the edge of the photo, sometimes on one side,
> sometimes both depending on the angle to the sun.
>
> Would anyone on the list call the variation in the sky in the attached jpeg
> vignetting?  I don't find the effect objectionable, but are publishers
> really likely to?
>
> Obscanning: images which have this kind of effect may actually enhance it
> depending on the scanner settings used.
>
> Rob

>                         Name: 20010118 0332.jpg
>    20010118 0332.jpg    Type: JPEG Image (image/jpeg)
>                     Encoding: base64

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.