Re: Pigmented inks was Re: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?

Epson tries to walk a fine line on this matter.  One the one hand, they
are absolutely within their rights to refuse service, or charge for
service for any printer returned during warranty which has head problems
which could be related to the ink used, and in fact, I would go as far
as saying they should do so.  On the other hand, the cost of proving the
inks were indeed not theirs is probably greater than simply repairing
the unit.

US law does make third party consumables a protected "right", and no
company may carte blanche void warranties based upon the use of 3rd
party expendables which meet or exceed manufacturer's guidelines, nor
may they refuse warranty service on non-related systems.  However, I
also know that Epson went from a 2 year to one year warranty on many
products, plus pulled toll-free support in recent years, and I do, in
part, blame people who have abused their goodwill for this.

I know of several people who admitted on the Epson list that they
continually used 3rd party inks, and whenever they had a massive ink
clog, they would return the printer to Epson with Epson ink carts in it.
  In some cases these people made several returns leaving Epson to cover
the cost of shipping and repair.  This is downright deceptive, IMHO.

I have used Epson color printers since the original Epson Color Stylus.
  Up until now, I have used Epson inks, and up till now I have had no
ink blockages I could not resolve myself.  Perhaps the same would be the
case with 3rd party inks, I don't know.  In all likelihood, quality ink
sets from any reputable dealer would be unlikely to do damage to the heads.

Art

Rob Geraghty wrote:

> "Robert DeCandido" <rdcny@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> You do not void your warranty by using third party inks in an
>> Epson.  If you need to return the printer for servicing, just remove
>> the CIS and re-install the Epson cartridges.  See the Inkjetmall web
>> site (Cone Peizography, eg) for a discussion of this.  We have been
>> back and forth on that issue on the Peizo list...Repeat: You do not
>> void the warranty!
>

> I suspect Epson would take a different view if the reason the printer
> was being returned has due to head blocks caused by non-OEM
> inks.  AFAIK Epson's official line is that the use of 3rd party inks
> voids the warranty as far as anything to do with the ink flow is
> concerned.
>
> Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.