RE: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?

Hmmm. That's an interesting question, but what does it mean? Too fast for
what? Too fast for Epson to get their act together and produce something
reliable? Too fast for the consumer who can't afford to keep up with the
latest technology? Does the semi-conductor industry produce faster
processors too fast? Even better, does the video card industry produce video
cards too fast? They seem to double in speed every six months. Is life too
fast these days? I think the answer is simple. Life is competitive, and
manufacturers have to keep on top of the technology curve if they are to
remain competitive, hence profitable, hence alive. New Epson printers come
out at the pace they do because the technology is growing at that pace
throughout the industry. It won't stop until technology hits a wall, then
everyone will have perfect printers for free and only one or two printer
manufacturers will exist. I suspect that's a ways off, so the pace will
continue frantic for a while yet. Meanwhile, Epson printers are good enough
to produce amazing results right now, regardless of all the Epson bashing
that seems so fashionable, here and elsewhere. So get one now and enjoy.
Then in five years when it breaks, get another one, and meanwhile don't
worry about the pace of technology. Sounds like everyone is wringing their
hands over the way life works these days. It will only get "worse" (or
better, depending on your attitude), so relax and enjoy the show, dipping
into it as the pocketbook can afford, but not lamenting that things are
going too fast for us.

Frank Paris
marshalt@spiritone.com