     áòèé÷ :: Security-alerts
Security-Alerts mailing list archive (security-alerts@yandex-team.ru)

[security-alerts] SuperBugs, or Stopping Botnets Considered Harmful

http://fm.vix.com/internet/security/superbugs.html

An old article, but strangely enough it come across my
attention right when I was thinking about exactly the
same thing, wrt spam issues.

- ----
In the waning days of calendar year 2004, I watched some friends
as they happily killed off some "botnets", and then pondered the
usefulness of this (if any). A "botnet" is a collection of stolen
computers, whose owners are still using them. Botnets are useful
for sending spam and receiving stolen credit card numbers and all
kinds of other things a bad guy wouldn't want to get caught use
his or her own computers for. So, why isn't killing "botnets" an
unrestricted good idea?