     áòèé÷ :: Inet-Admins
Inet-Admins mailing list archive (inet-admins@info.east.ru)

[inet-admins] Some news from Ascend

    UUNET Selects Ascend Equipment for Major Network Expansion; UUNET
Continues to Partner with Ascend for High-Performance WAN Access Equipment;
Selects MAX TNT for Expansion of the UUNET Dial Network         UUNET
Selects Ascend Equipment for Major Network Expansion; UUNET Continues to
Partner with Ascend for High-Performance WAN Access Equipment; Selects MAX
TNT for Expansion of the UUNET Dial Network    September 25, 1997 8:03 AM
EDT

   ALAMEDA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 25, 1997--Ascend Communications,
Inc., (NASDAQ:ASND) today announced another major deployment of MAX TNT WAN
Access Switches by UUNET Technologies, Inc., Fairfax, Va., the world's
largest Internet Service Provider and a subsidiary of WorldCom, Inc.

UUNET will be purchasing over 170,000 MAX TNT WAN Access Switches by the end
of 1997, increasing its total dial network capacity to more than 370,000
dial access ports. Additionally, UUNET has made the decision to deploy the
Ascend GRF IP Switch in its network, further increasing the capacity and
reliability of its Internet infrastructure. This latest network expansion
further solidifies UUNET's position as the preeminent provider of Internet
services globally, with over 1,000 Points of Presence (POPs) throughout the
world.

"UUNET has relied on Ascend equipment in the past and we will continue
expanding with their switches, routers and WAN access equipment in the
future," said John Sidgmore, UUNET chief executive officer.

"We continue to rely on Ascend for providing us with the most advanced
products available," said David Boast, vice-president dial access network at
UUNET. "Because the needs of our network continue to evolve, it is important
to have partners that can stay ahead of the technical challenges we face.
Ascend has proven that they are such a partner -- first with its
leading-edge MAX family of WAN access products and most recently with the
high speed IP switch, the GRF. We have put the TNT and the GRF through its
paces in both our labs and our production network, and this rigorous testing
has proven that these products are capable of supporting the needs of our
networks today, as well as positioning us for the tremendous growth we
envision going forward. We look forward to continuing our partnership with
Ascend as we move our network to the next level."

In addition to the latest GRF deployment, UUNET has over 150 BSTDX 9000
multiservice WAN switches installed in its network covering 100 POPs that
represent more than 5,000 ports. Together the Frame Relay and IP backbone
provided by the BSTDX and the GRF backbone service all of UUNETs MAX dial
customers as well as its dedicated Frame Relay and IP leased line customers.

"We truly value the longstanding relationship we enjoy with Ascend, and look
forward to further expanding this relationship as we continue to grow our
network," said Heidi Heiden, UUNET senior vice president of network
operations and technology.

"We have been working with UUNET for four years and continue to have a
strong relationship with them. Our collaboration with UUNET has allowed us
to enhance our products and services to address the ever changing needs of
service providers," said Mory Ejabat, president and CEO of Ascend
Communications, Inc. "We look forward to continuing our strong relationship
with UUNET as the new public network is built."

About Ascend Communications
 Ascend Communications, Inc. develops, manufactures, and sells wide area
networking solutions for telecommunications carriers, Internet service
providers, and corporate customers worldwide. For more information about
Ascend and its products, please visit the Ascend web site at
http://www.ascend.com, or e-mail info@ascend.com . Ascend is headquartered
at One Ascend Plaza, 1701 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda, Calif. 94502. Phone:
800/ASCEND4; Fax: 510/814-2300.

About UUNET Technologies
 Headquartered in Fairfax, Va., UUNET Technologies, Inc., is the world's
largest Internet service provider, offering a comprehensive range of access
options, World Wide Web hosting services, security products and consulting
services to businesses, professionals, and on-line service providers. The
company's network is comprised of nearly 1,000 Points of Presence (POPs)
throughout the United States and in Canada, Europe and the Asia-Pacific
region, as well as connections to Internet service providers around the
world. Founded in 1987, UUNET is recognized as the first commercial Internet
service provider and is a subsidiary of WorldCom, Inc. UUNET's World Wide
Web address is http://www.uu.net .

¿ Business Wire. All rights reserved.

Additional sources of information
  Tell Me More - From Infoseek
   Company Profile - From E*TRADE: ASND
 Stock Charts - From Quote.Com: ASND
 SEC Filings - From EDGAR Online: ASND
 Company Capsule - From Hoover's Online: ASND
 Quick Facts - From Market Guide: ASND