[filmscanners] Re: Tips For Sharp Scans Using Nikon 5000 ED

markup
  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Tips For Sharp Scans Using Nikon 5000 ED
  • From: "Tony Sleep" <tonysleep@halftone.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:28:34 +0100

  • On 28/09/2009 Karen and John Hinkey wrote:
    > I managed to get my old SS4000 to work for a while and compared scans
    > of
    > the same slide between the SS4000 and 5000 ED and found that when
    > using
    > Vuescan the results were very similar regarding sharpness, although
    > the
    > raw image came out noticeably better with Vuescan.  I found that using
    > NikonScan did not produce quite as sharp of scan for whatever reason.
    >
    > Anyone have hints as to why the NikonScan image was not quite as
    > sharp?
    > Did I have some basic parameter wrong?

    The usual issue with Nikon scanners is focus. Their LED lightsource is not
    as bright as other mfr's conventional lamps, which compels a faster lens
    with shallower depth of focus. This makes Nikons sensitive to film flatness.

    It's been years since I used Nikonscan but my recollection is that the
    focus area was configureable - you could focus manually on any part of the
    frame or set the scanner to autofocus on it. VS may just be making a
    better automatic choice. But I am guessing. However I'd look at perhaps
    changing the area that NS is set to use if it is indeed still possible.

    I don't know whether VS supports the hopper, but do some research before
    committing to it. All NS hoppers have a mixed reputation, for jamming and
    misfeeding, and if I remember right, there is the additional limitation
    that exposure used for the first slide is used for the entire batch.

    --
    Regards

    Tony Sleep
    http://tonysleep.co.uk