[filmscanners] Re: RAW?

I was thinking RAW in Vuescan to hard drive, then reading
 the raw back into vuescan for conversion into whatever y
ou want for the final product. I only suggested this beca
use you are planning on doing unattended batch scanning.
If you were going to be present for each scan, then RGB t
iff would be fine for archive.

To be clear here, I neve
r did batch scanning. There is so much tweaking to be don
e in the scanning process. (I have done the raw to disk t
hen reread into vuescan flow a few times.)

If you go ba
ck to one of my earlier posts, I believe I suggested usin
g auto level or neutral if you aren't going to do the raw
 process and you are doing unattended scanning.. I may no
t have made that clear.

I wish you luck having a scanner
 in good enough shape to resell. These things are mechani
cal. Old scanners (ok, MY old scanneran artixscan 4000t,
no IR) would do odd things to the point where I can't sel
l it to a third party. I had it jam once, and paid to hav
e fixed and upgraded. Pretty cheap factory service. It wo
rked fine for maybe 2 years after the repair, then would
occasionaly not determine which holder it was being fed.

I got the Minolta 5400 II at granted half the price of
the Artixscan, so it made more sense to upgrade to get IR
, more depth (bits), etc. Then 6 months later Minolta dum
ps the product, selling out to Sony.

The 5400 II was an
 interim to going digital. I would have never predicted s
omething like the Canon 5d Mark II would be on the market
 so soon.