[filmscanners] Re: Advice on scanner settings

I just did a little empirical experiment, to ty to get some idea about
jpeg compression.

I took a rather complex image (a photograph of a very detailed painting)
which I had saved as a TIFF file.  It was from a Kodachrome 25 slide
which I scanned at 14 bit (16 bit in Photoshop) at 4000 dpi.  That
created a 62M file.

I then converted it to a 8 bit file, which brought it down to about
31M.  I then converted it to a jpeg at the highest quality Photoshop
offered (in version 5.5) which was scale12 in baseline standard mode.
It was reduced to about 11M.

Now, here I'll show my ignorance.  I then took the original TIFF image
and copied the jpeg as a layer on top of it, and  I then selected
"difference" as the blend relationship between the background tiff and
the layer one jpeg. The image went completely black even at very high
zoom, I only see black.  I then tried this with higher jpeg compressions
and yet it is still all black.

So, I am confused.  I presumed that using the difference blend
relationship between the background and top layer would show any pixels
which had different colors (I believe difference subtracts the RGB
values from each other) and yet I see nothing but what appears to be a
pretty pure black, even with jpeg scale 1.

OK, I just did another test, and I see it takes quite a bit of change in
the layer (playing with hue, contrast, levels, etc) before the
difference blend shows anything meaning, so that is not a good testing
procedure.

Anyone have a good idea how to check two images for changes against one
another such that hue, color, contrast, brightness or any value change
to a pixel would show up clearly as a changed pixel when comparing two
images on top of one another?   I would like to see a quantitative
visual indication of each pixel that is altered by a certain jpeg
setting relative to the non-jpegged tiff.

For instance, I am wondering if jpeg 12 on the Photoshop scale is near
lossless or not.  A jpeg 12 in Photoshop seems to be a 3:1 compression,
but I am not sure how much damage it is doing.

Art