[filmscanners] Re: spam magnet

Dieder Bylsma wrote:
> The scams are because we have a subscriber on our list that archives the list
> to a public forum...
>
> http://www.lexa.ru/FS/
>
> note how all the most recent postings are on this list too ;)

Thanks for uncovering that archive. It is highly likely that is where our
addresses are
harvested. No matter how you obfuscate your email address on the Web it can and
will be
harvested. Some people use scripts to display their addresses in HTML entities
while
others use more sophisticated techniques such as adding blank spaces, replacing
the @
glyph, or combinations of Javascript and CSS. None of them work for long.

My personal website doesn't contain my email address in any form. If people
want to
contact me there, they are directed to a server-side CGI page.

The increase in spam around the world is directly proportional to the increase
of
gullibility and ignorance in the world. Spammers make money because there are
so many
suckers out there. Education and commonsense are the only effective defenses
against it.

--
Cary Enoch Reinstein...  aka enochsvision, Enoch's Vision Inc.
Photography, poetry http://www.enochsvision.com/ Blog