[filmscanners] Re: spam magnet

On 01/04/2008 halftone@troutcom.com wrote:
> Sigh -- nobody responded directly to my original question, which is
>
> vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
> Why is my email address displayed on the filmscanners board?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Most other participants are identified by name, but their email
> addresses are *not* displayed.

Your name does not appear because you have not configured it in your email
client.

The list distribuutes what it receives with the 'from' field formatted
from : realname <emailaddress>

It gets that information from mails you send to the list. It has no
knowledge of realnames from anywhere else, all it knows about is the email
addresses for registered users that it will allow to post.

If your email client is configured to provide your real name, it uses it
in the 'from:'field. Most email clients will then display the 'from:'
field with realname as a mailto:link (ie clicking on the realname sends a
new message to the underlying email address).

If your email client provides no realname because you haven't configured
one, then it uses the email address as the realname, linked to the email
address.

In both cases, the email address is available and can be used by spammers
because it is in the from: header field.

As I said
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
All I can do here is change the listmail headers so that only the
orginator's name appears in the 'from' field, not their email address.
This will of course make it impossible to send personal email to a list
member unless you already know their address, which is why I haven't done
it in the past. You lot can tell me which you'd prefer.

Most lists I am on (around 20) present the sender's email address for
exactly this reason. Prodig is the only one I can think of that does not,
and also bans email addresses from the message body. It's limiting and
annoying if you want to take a discussion off list.

If you don't want to take any action against spammers but rely on others
doing stuff for you, you'd be best advised to stop using email because
spam is inevitable.

I will remove the email addresses if there is a significant consensus

--
Regards

Tony Sleep
http://tonysleep.co.uk