[filmscanners] RE: film and scanning vs digital photography

I have not used VueScan in years and am unfamiliar with its current raw
output.  When I used it the raw scan was 16 bit non-linear scan without any
software processing applied at all output as a TIFF file.  This is not
exactly the same as Camera RAW which via camera raw conversion programs
allows the user to interpret the raw data as to exposure, white light,
saturation levels, chromatic distortion, and color settings prior to
converting the interpreted data into a standard format which the user can
then manipulate in image editing programs like Photoshop.  The VueScan raw
file that I knew was a standard formatted image file which was exported to
an image editing program where the user could do corrections, manipulations,
and enhancements typical of such programs but not the same as one can do in
the Camera Raw reader applications.  But things may have changed.