[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography
  • From: "Berry Ives" <yvesberia@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:59:19 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:59:21 +0100

Tony,

When you say "the image itself has far lower spatial frequencies...", I
guess you mean the image arriving at the film post optics?  It is
interesting, the difference between trying to emulate film's grain-clump
quality rather than trying to capture the image itself.

As Oly says, it's not all about pixels.  When I went to the Steves-digicam
site, I compared the E-1 5mp image of the hotel to the E-500 8mp image,
comparing the hotel/marina café images on a 23" Apple Cinema display with
both images sized identically.  Yes, I know the better comparison is to
print them at say 12x16, since the print is the real test.  I just didn't
want to use the ink and paper to do that.

It is hard to say whether the 8mp is better than the other.  Of course, 8pm
is not 10mp.  I found that some parts of the image looked a bit sharper at
8pm, but other parts of the image looked better in the 5mp shot.  Not clear
if it is a depth of field issue, or a lack of identical focusing distance.
The 8 mp had blown highlights, which made them more difficult to compare.
And there were no images shot with the same lens on both cameras.  So I
compared another pair of images, and again blown highlights on the 8mp E-500
shot, and other differences like composition and focal length made for a
difficult comparison.

I picked Olympus images for comparison because that's what I have (E-1).
Despite the difficulty in seeing the benefit of more megapixels between
these images, I will probably buy the upcoming sequel to the E-1 when it
comes out, supposedly in the next few months. It will probably be about
10mp.  I must say that it is still a question in my mind whether the extra
pixels will be much of an improvement, given all the other factors of image
quality.  But I will also move up the their newest highest quality lens (28
- 70mm equiv. f/2.0) if they ever get it out after long drawn out publicity.
That combo may well outperform my E-1.

Berry