From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of
lotusm50@sprynet.com
Sent: 08 June 2007 12:59
To: john@sykesj.co.uk
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

Really?  That is very surprising.  I scan 35mm film at 5400dpi on my
KonicaMinolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 II, and the quality is stunningly
good.  It really gets every last bit of information in the film. Output
from any 3mp camera you can find would be laughable by comparison.  I
have found the output from this scanner to be superior to the output
available from the range of 8-10mp DLSR's (certainly at lower ISO's,
less so at higher ISO's), and noticeably superior to lower resolution
scans on the same scanner.  It's a shame this scanner is no longer made.

John Sykes wrote
> I was somewhat shocked when I tried scanning some old
> negs to find there was little or no improvement gained by scanning
> above the default resolution set on the Minolta Dimage 5400 (1350dpi).

> This is roughly equivalent to 2Mp. Perhaps this is down to using
> "ordinary" film, but I'd say that a good 3 megapixel camera will give
> similar or better results to those I used to obtain from analogue.

07/06/2007 14:21

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
07/06/2007 14:21