[filmscanners] Re: Modern photography...

We (Tony and I) live in somewhat similar climates.  This area (Victoria
BC, Canada), also referred to as "the wet coast" is a rain forest.  Many
Brits feel very at home here.  Long soggy gray fall, winter and spring.

Our home is not particularly dry, in fact, quite the opposite, a factor
often pointed to when I mention how rarely my Epson printers develop
head clogs.

We do use a dehumidifier during winter months, and could supply
distilled water to many from our one machine ;-)

However, I have only very rarely had an mold growth on my negs (and I
have many thousands of rolls) B&W, negs, slides, etc.  It usually
occurs, if it does, on those stored in glassine holders.

Now, I accept that if mold is a problem it can do unrepairable damage to
film, but that is one of the few things that can damage a silver B&W neg.

I suggest anyone with this kind of problem consider:

1) open air storage (as suggested by others)

2) A dehumidifier to keep R.H. below 50%

3) a silica gel packed storage system

Art