[filmscanners] RE: Modern photography...

Hi Ken,

> -Is hours in the darkroom this still the best way to get
> fantastic B&W pics?

Not in my opinion...read on...

> -Should I shoot film then use a film scanner to
> manipulate and print?

IMO, yes.

> -Which film?

For B&W, I shoot Tri-X and Plus-X.

> -Should I shoot digital then use PhotoShop to make it
> monochrome?

That, IMO, will not produce near as nice an image as film.

> -Should I use the same approach for color pics?

Not sure of the question...but I only have a strong opinion on B&W.

> -Which is the best process to print a B&W digital pic?

IMO, Piezography...or at least a quad-tone inkjet printer.

> Is there an online service to do so?

B&W, not sure.

> -I just got the CanoScan 8400f flatbed scanner- will I be
> happy with the results?  Should I cough-up another $200
> and get the CanoScan 9950f or Epson 4870?

No idea.

The best B&W results I have seen, has been medium format (or larger) Plus-X
developed in D-76 1:1, and Tri-X same development.  Scanned (I use a
Leafscan 45) and printed using Piezography on an Epson 3000.  The results,
IMO, are better than I was ever able to achieve printing in the darkroom,
and I had a lot of B&W darkroom experience.  The ability to use setpoints
and tonal curves of the scanned image gives me better images IMO.

Regards,

Austin