[filmscanners] Re: Oops?

Give Ed Hamrick's Vuescan a try. The demo mode (last time I checked
which I will admit was 4 years ago) just puts a watermark on the
image.There used to only be one version, but now there is a pro and
regular (maybe called basic) version. If you like it, get the Pro
version since it is updated frequently. Ed has many profiles for Kodak
B&W film.

I would think that Nikon's lack of a color mask would make for
exceptional B&W scans. On more conventional scanners, people have tried
to scan in color and then pick the best looking channel to convert to
grayscale.

It's really a shame they can't make an  B&W transparency film (other
than Scala, which is really "fringe":). I find scanning positives to me
much easier than negatives. Yes, the scanner has an easier time with
negatives since the densities are not as extreme, but the inversion
process is the gremlin.

Any particular type of B&W film you find most difficult?

Here is an idea. See if the Nikon software will let you scan the B&W
film as color slide film. Then see if the histogram is reasonably centered.