[filmscanners] Re: Scanning B+W negatives

Hi Chris,

I used to load my black and white reels in a closet with a towel
blocking the light from the floor gap.  Sometimes it got hot and my
hands would get sweaty and then the film would get sticky.  Worse was if
the reel wasn't fully dry because I was running a bunch of film through,
or horrors I dropped the film after popping open the cassette.

Ultimately, I built a large, well sealed  and tar paper covered
darkroom, because I was also doing color work.  I have to dismantle it
since I can't do wet darkroom anymore.

I own a Minolta Dual Dimage II, which is a bit different than your
model, but to scan black and white in it, as I recall, I used to scan it
as a color negative.  I would then save the cleanest channel, which was
usually the green channel, and make it into a greyscale, and then invert
it.  This is from memory, since I haven't used the scanner in a long
time, as I have a Polaroid SS4000.

I suggest you try a few different approaches and see which seems to give
the best results with your particular scanner model.

Art