[filmscanners] Re: Archiving???!!!

Art,

Thanks for the info, especially on the CD-RW disk,  Your comment that they
should be more reliable fits your description well.  I'm going to look into
purchasing them - are you aware of any that are considered better.  It would
seem that all of these are subject to how well the coatings are handled.
While the RW type would be more expensive, there is always the possibility
of reuse, so that may mitigate that problem to some extent.  Like you, I had
heard that the CD-RW was less reliable than a CD-R, but I hadn't looked
further.
I had figured that my old HP had a hotter laser in general, and that perhaps
the electronics - mechanics is a little more forgiving since it was not
intended to work with higher speeds.  I am going to  see if I can get it to
work with current CD-RW discs.  Speed isn't a major factor - the PC - P4
that the HP drive lives on is not my main machine and is networked with my
Mac G4 Dual.  If you know of a new burner that you would recommend, I am
aware that the HP has a lot of years on it from the point of view of
technology and may not be compatible with my next machine even, so it prolly
is time to start thinking about an upgrade.  Here again, the issue isn't
speed, it is reliability for both reading and writing.  It is my experience
that there will be some units from companies such as HP or perhaps Sony (at
least in the past) that are much more forgiving, much more compatible with
everything else than some of the others. Unfortunately, I am no longer
around enough different equipment to have any idea which units those might
be.

Again, thanks for the description of the mechanism of CD-RW.  That mechanism
gives me a much greater sense of confidence than what I knew of the other
approach.

-Brad

-To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real
feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to
learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the
language that she speaks in. Richard Feynman  -The Character of Physical Law
-