[filmscanners] Re: archiving scanned images to DVDs

 wrote:

> I mistakenly purchased a box of DVD+RW discs rather than the DVD+R
> discs. I recall there was an issue with CD-RW media not being as durable
> as CD-R media. How about rewriteable DVD media? Does the same difference
> hold for DVD?

AIUI CD-RW media are actually slightly _more_ stable, given dark storage in
good conditions.

I wouldn't trust anything to long-term storage on DVD however. The dyes are
 different to CDR/W, and some assessments have estimated safe archival life
as 3-4yrs max.

There are also issues around DVD's being unreadable on drives other than
that on which they were written, something I have been personally bitten by
with some DVDR supplied to clients, and also a DVDR supplied to me by a
friend. When this happens, you can see the dirs and filenames OK, but can't
actually open the files.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk