[filmscanners] Re: Flatbed vs film scanner

Hello Thomas,

> There seem to be many flatbed scanners on the market that offer very high
> resolution, in the 4000dpi range.  The Epson Perfection 4180 is
> representative.  Can anyone offer an opinion as to how well they scan 35mm
> slides and negs versus dedicated film scanners?

I can offer you an comparison between the Canon 5200F (2400dpi, 140
EUR) and the Minolta Elite 5400 (5400dpi, 650 EUR).

The difference is noticable. The Minolta delivers sharper pictures
with more contrast and more details. If you want I can upload a test
picture to my homepage to show the difference.

--
Best regards,
 Dieter