[filmscanners] Re: Scan Dual IV vs Elite

Berry Ives wrote:

> It seems like I have
> heard of grain aliasing issues, or somesuch.  I am printing at 1440
> dpi on watercolor paper with an Epson 2200.

A couple of points.  Firstly, the Elite 5400 has a "grain disolver" feature
which puts a diffuser in the light path.  Going by some review sites on
the web, it does make a beneficial difference to the visibility of grain.
The down side is that it does extend the scan time.

Also, grain aliasing seems to be worse on scanners with a resolution in
the 2700-2800 ppi range.  Scanning at a higher resolution is reported to
be much better.  (I can't speak from experience on this as I don't have
the Elite 5400, just the original Elite.)

Even if the resolution is greater than you need, you can scan at full
resolution and then downsample afterwards.  This, plus the grain
dissolver, should give you much better results than the Dual IV,
although it would probably be much slower.

Of course, the Elite 5400 also has ICE which can come in handy.

Al Bond