[filmscanners] Blue gray random pattern???

Hi,

My electrician discovered that I know a little about scanning and presented
me with this  problem.

He has an Epson 2400 scanner, hooked to a PC via USB2 - the PC is running XP
personal.  The Epson 2400 is his 3rd try at a scanner, the USB2 is the
second try at an interface.  In all attempts, he gets a light cyan-gray
random pattern across all scans.  This shows most clearly in white areas.
It looks very much like what I would get using Photoshop and doing a random
fill with noise at perhaps 10%. (I've never done anything other than a 50%
noise fill, so that number is a very rough estimate.)  The gray pattern,
while random, is much too regular to be from interference, and it appears in
the image, on the monitor - it isn't being added by the printer.  He is
using the Epson supplied software to do his  scans and has had numerous
folks look at his set up with no one being able to figure out what is
causing the problem.

That he has tried three different scanners seems to eliminate them as the
cause.  I wouldn't expect the interface to put in such an even (if random)
dot pattern.   I have no idea how XP might be at fault, but the one thing
that would seem to be common is the XP driver for USB(1&2).

I may be precipitous in asking this before I see his set up, but it occurs
to me that someone may have experienced this already, and I won't get a
chance to look at his set up for some days.  I also believe from the
description of the folks who have looked  at it, that I may not see anything
telling anyway.

If there is any other data that I need to gather, let me know, he will be
rewiring my kitchen for at least another day.

Thanks for any help,

Brad