[filmscanners] RE: Fw: Re: Newbie intro.

> Nikon scanners have dICE, but in part, it is because they
> require it. The lighting system used (LED) caused two
> problems.  One is that surface defects and grain tend to be
> amplified, so dICE becomes almost a requirement (dICE doesn't
> work with true blank and white films, which is why I asked
> you what films you use).  The other problem that Nikon's LED
> lighting can cause is , due to it being lower brightness than
> cold cathode, the len has to be used completely open, and so
> depth within the film plane is quite limited.  As a result
> even normal bowing in the film can cause either the edges or
> center to be out of focus.
>
> I would not spend a lot of extra money on buying an older
> Nikon model, they were costly new, and the early models
> tended to have more mechanical problems than other scanners.
>
> Older color neg films tended to have fairly large grain, and
> this can lead to grain aliasing, which exaggerates the grain
> size, particularly
> with scanners in the 2400-2800 dpi range.   That's where most of the
> older scanners have their resolution.
>
> You mention that you mainly plan on web images for now.  If
> that is the case, you *MIGHT* want to consider one of the
> flatbed scanners (such as some of the Epson which were
> designed for film scanning), which might be less costly that
> a film scanner, and at a later date when you have more
> interest in printing, get a film scanner.  Certainly, a
> dedicated film scanner will provide better images, but
> depending on how large you think you will wish to print them
> at some point, you may not be happy with the scans from an
> older film scanner.
>
> Besides the Minolta you are considering, you might also wish
> to look at some of the older Polaroids (made by Microtek),
> and maybe even the Acer/Benq (they made one which also had dICE).

Has anyone ocme across the Benq ScanWit 2740S?

I have found one dealer in Hove (UK) who stocks it - and it is relatively
cheap (sub £150). Comes with SCSI card too. The single review I have found
cannot give enough praise. Maybe this is the one to go for?

http://www.benq.co.uk/Products/Scanner/index.cfm?product=7

Cheers

Chris

--