[filmscanners] Re: Revive this list?!

From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> writes:

I am going to provide the text of the ad as it was written:

NEW ITEM: ATTENTION! Nikon Coolscan 8000 and 9000 Scanner Owners...

Significantly Improve Scan Sharpness!

Image Mechanics Fluid Mount Tray

Enables users of the Nikon Cool Scan 8000 and 9000 to dramatically improve
the quality of your scans by increasing edge to center sharpness, removing
scratches and dust, and easing grain.  The tray is simple and easy to use
with no cleanup worries.  Save countless hours in spotting your scans
without having to use DIGITAL ICE, which can reduce the sharpness of the
scan.  Finally, you can now get your medium priced scanner to perform like
the expensive high-end CCD scanners...... $499.99
-------------------------

Then to add to the expense, how about the "Starter Accessory Kit for Fluid
Mount Tray" for only an additional $124.99
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hmm. I've always wondered what Kami fluid would do to both your insides and
the insides of the Nikon 8000 as well...

Someone on photo.net tried using Kami fluid on an Epson flatbed, and the
difference was enormous: it really helped.

Art's editorializing:

Yeap, that's right folks, for the small price of only $625 US plus shipping,
your scanner can have most of its major design flaws compensated for, only
years after the scanner was released, and you won't have to pay Nikon the
money to do it!

Oh, I forgot, the Nikon 8000 doesn't HAVE any problems with grain and dust
exaggeration,
<<<<<<<<<<<

It's certainly not as bad as the Minolta for grain exageration<g>.

> or edge to center sharpness...

But that's a problem. Getting the film flat is a bear. When you succeed,
though, it's fine.

  the person who came up with
this product must be just as delusional as I am! He just thinks he can
charge $500++ for a totally unnecessary device.

For any of you Nikon 8000/9000 owners who actually are equally delusional,
the URL to find out more about this device is:

www.freestylephoto.biz/imagemechanics.php

Thanks for the pointer.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com