[filmscanners] Minolta 5400 & Photoshop CS: best way to scan

Ok, my head is swimming here. I've read elsewhere that the Minolta 1.1.5
software (actually, any software, silverfast and vuescan too) just modifies
the scan at the software level, not the hardware level. I'm talking about
'exposure compensation' tab and 'image correction tab.'

Also, for background, I'm a very competent Photoshop user, and I don't have
a problem modifying the scan with PS levels, curves, hue, etc. I'm a newbie
at scanning. So, my question to you guys is what is the best way (fastest,
highest quality file) to use the 5400, especially with color neg:

- scan in 16 bit color neg, or

- scan in 16 bit linear color neg, or

- scan in as color positive, either 16 bit or 16 bit linear

- And what about black and white film?

- Will either of the two commercial scanning software packages (silverfast
or vuescan) give me better results if you look at my premise?

I just can't seem to find the resources anywhere for these questions. Will
the resultant file be a sort of 'digital neg' in the same fashion a RAW file
is for digital cameras?

I figure since PS CS can manipulate 16 bit files, it's faster and easier for
me to adjust things like color balance, leves, etc in PS rather than dither
away my time in whatever scanning software I'm using.

Thoughts?

Best,

-David Ray Carson
web: http://www.davidraycarson.com/